- Video: How To Wash a Down Jacket - without damaging it!
- Preparing the down jacket for washing
- Video: HOW TO WASH A DOWN JACKET the RIGHT WAY // 5 Simple Steps
- Ways to wash a down jacket
- Video: How to wash and dry your down jacket - product care
- Possible problems when washing and drying a down jacket
- Video: How do you wash a puffer jacket in the washing machine?
- Dry cleaning
- Video: How to Wash a Down Jacket | 5 Simple Steps |
- Rate the author (1)
- Comments (3)
Down jackets have been popular clothing for many years due to their convenience, practicality, and variety of models. The top of the jacket is made of synthetic fabrics. Inside - a filler made of feathers and down of waterfowl.
For a uniform distribution of down and feathers, the surface of the products is quilted, so high-quality down jackets do not go astray, retain their original appearance and properties for a long time. Down jackets are easy to wash at home. How to wash a down jacket, by hand or in a machine?
So, how to wash a down jacket in a washing machine - further in our article.
Video: How To Wash a Down Jacket - without damaging it!
Preparing the down jacket for washing
The down jacket is designed for daily wear. Without washing, a thing cannot be carried all season, especially if the model is light. Manufacturers give recommendations for the care of products, indicate acceptable methods, washing, spinning modes. The first step before washing is to read the instructions. It is advisable to do the same if you do not know how to wash tulle in a typewriter.
This is what the icons on the label mean:
- crossed bowl - no washing,
- hand and bowl - hand washable
- The line under the bowl pattern is only the delicate mode.
- Prepare your detergent. Ordinary powders are not suitable because they do not rinse well. For products with natural down, there are special products for sale;
- check pockets;
- remove fur elements (cuffs, collar), if any. Non-removable parts made of fur are recommended to be combed with a brush with sparse bristles;
- Button up buttons, pockets, zippers and turn inside out.
It is recommended to wet, lather and rub the most polluted places before washing.
Video: HOW TO WASH A DOWN JACKET the RIGHT WAY // 5 Simple Steps
Ways to wash a down jacket
Now the product can be washed in the way recommended by the manufacturer. Most models are machine washable.
In the washing machine
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Place the item in the drum. Wash the down jacket separately to prevent staining;
- so that the fluff does not go astray, special balls are placed in the drum;
- Use a gel cleanser. The gel must be dosed strictly according to the instructions;
- mode: delicate or for synthetics, temperature - no more than 30 degrees, minimum or no spin.
At the end of the working cycle, it is recommended to start a second rinse. How to wash a down jacket in a washing machine so that the fluff does not go astray? It happens that if all the above recommendations are followed, the filler is still collected in lumps. This speaks of the low quality of the item. Down jackets, sewn in the factory, with the observance of technology, adapted for automatic washing.
Prepare the product in the same way as for washing in the machine. Dip the down jacket in a basin of water at a temperature of no more than 30 ° C with dissolved detergent and leave for 15-20 minutes. Then gently remove the dirt with a soft brush or sponge.
Before washing, you need to study the nature of the dirt. Traces of daily wear on the collar and sleeves can be easily washed off. Grease stains, traces of cosmetics require special products. Find out in advance, how to remove a stain of grass, coffee, Coca-Cola, etc.
The down jacket should be thoroughly rinsed in warm water until all traces of detergent disappear. The final stage is the spin. You can't twist the thing. The liquid is disposed of with gentle squeezing movements. You can hang the product over the bathtub on a coat hanger to drain excess water.
Video: How to wash and dry your down jacket - product care
After washing, it is necessary to unfasten the zippers, buttons, turn the item on the front side, hang it on a coat hanger and straighten it. In this position, the product should be until completely dry. It is desirable to dry in the fresh air, not in direct sunlight, away from heaters and radiators.
How to dry a down jacket without lumps? Periodically, you need to beat the filler with your hands and straighten it with your hands.
Possible problems when washing and drying a down jacket
What unpleasant things can happen when washing a down jacket at home? If after drying, despite the distribution of the filler by hand, it has gone astray, the item can be washed again.
Other problems and solutions:
- Streaks remain on the fabric due to the fact that the detergent was washed off during the rinse. Exit - repeated, more thorough rinsing in automatic or manual mode;
- grease stains did not wash off. It is required to remove them with special means and rewash the item;
- The product smells bad. This indicates that it is not completely dried. Drying outdoors is recommended.
There are a few things that you absolutely must not do when washing down jackets:
- use bleach;
- use regular washing powders;
- dry the down jacket with a background or heaters;
- wash in hot water;
- squeeze at high speeds.
Some models of down jackets with natural filler are recommended not to be washed, but dry-cleaned.
Video: How do you wash a puffer jacket in the washing machine?
If you do not know how to properly wash a down jacket at home, you are afraid to spoil the item or there is a prohibition on washing on the label, the product should be dry-cleaned.
The same should be done in the presence of stubborn stains. There are many recipes for removing stains with turpentine, gasoline, ammonia and other aggressive liquids. They should be used with caution, trying on a local area. Chemically active liquids can remove the stain, but at the same time spoil the fibers and filler.
Chemical dry or wet cleaning involves the use of the latest preparations and equipment, protection of fur and accessories, preservation of the original color and structure of the jacket filler.