- Video: Pepper Seedling Care Tips - Keep Young Pepper Plants Happy - Pepper Geek
- Seed Fund
- Video: Germinating Pepper Seeds FAST - How To Plant Pepper Seeds
- Seed preparation
- Planting seeds for seedlings
- Video: Planting Chilli Pepper Seeds? Avoid this mistake!
- Caring for pepper seedlings
- Video: 5 Pepper Seedlings Mistakes You Don't Want To Make - Pepper Geek
- Landing in open ground
- Video: Transplanting Pepper Seedlings - When and How To Transplant - Pepper Geek
- Rate the author (3)
- Comments (4)
Bulgarian pepper is the basis of many delicious dishes, a source of vitamins and minerals. Nutritionists recommend including a vegetable in the diet, especially with a predisposition to cardiovascular diseases.
In August, beds with ripe sunny fruits cause aesthetic pleasure. It is worth learning how to properly plant pepper seedlings to get a tasty and abundant harvest.
So, when to sow pepper seedlings and how to do it right - further in our article.
Video: Pepper Seedling Care Tips - Keep Young Pepper Plants Happy - Pepper Geek
The variety of varieties of pepper satisfies the most demanding requests. A bitter, sweet vegetable of various shapes and colors is cultivated. It makes sense to plant pepper with seedlings, since the seeds will not have time to germinate in the ground, and the fruits will not ripen before frost.
This property is characteristic of the nightshade family. Tomatoes, eggplants are also germinated, planting tomatoes in open ground seedlings gives a faster harvest.
When choosing seeds, the following are taken into account:
- Climatic features of the region. The colder the climate, the longer the vegetable ripens, so early-ripening varieties are chosen;
- variety, appearance, taste. Information, photos are on the package;;
- resistance to diseases, adverse weather conditions. Hybrid varieties bred by breeders for higher yields are marked on the packaging with the letters F1.
It is better to buy seed material in specialized stores.
Video: Germinating Pepper Seeds FAST - How To Plant Pepper Seeds
Some manufacturers process seeds before packaging, which is indicated in the description that the material is ready for use. What to soak pepper seeds in for quick germination if they are untreated? Gardeners recommend:
- preselect. For this, the material is placed in a 3% salt solution. Hollow seeds will float. They should be taken away and not used. The rest of the mass is washed, dried and sorted, removing small and large, damaged ones, leaving medium seeds;
- disinfect in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, holding for 15 minutes, then rinse and dry.
Experienced gardeners know a lot of tricks: how to plant garlic for the winter, how to handle nightshade seeds ready for planting. p>
The secret of a good yield of bell pepper is in the preliminary germination of seeds. This is done on a sponge or agrofibre, abundantly moistened with water. The substrate is placed in a container, peas are laid out on it and closed. After 4-5 days, when white sprouts appear, you can sow sweet peppers for seedlings. This is done in late February - early March.
Preparatory measures increase germination, reduce the number of empty flowers, increase immunity, help to get strong healthy seedlings.
Some gardeners include hardening in preparation. To do this, hatched seeds are placed for several hours in a room with an air temperature of 1 ° C. After this procedure, the seedlings are not afraid of temperature changes.
It is not recommended to plant pepper seeds without soaking, yourself from a previous crop. Only coated, encapsulated seeds do not require preparation.
Planting seeds for seedlings
Prepare the containers in advance. These can be plastic cups with drainage holes or ready-made cassettes with a large number of cells. The containers are filled with universal soil for growing seedlings of vegetables, not reaching the edge of 2 cm. Further algorithm of actions:
- moisten and compact the soil with your fingers;
- put 2 grains in each container at a distance of 2 cm. Subsequently, the weaker sprout is removed;
- fill the seeds with soil with a layer of up to 1 cm;
- Cover the containers with cling film.
The temperature in the seed room should be 23-25°C.
Video: Planting Chilli Pepper Seeds? Avoid this mistake!
Caring for pepper seedlings
Before sprouts appear, the soil in containers is not watered, but sprayed from a spray bottle. Shoots will appear in 1-2 weeks. As soon as the sprouts hatch, the containers must be freed from the film and a favorable external environment should be created for the plants.
- provide enough bright but diffused lighting. The best option is a phytolamp, but ordinary lamps can also be used. The first three days, the sprouts should be under the lamp around the clock, then the light source can be left for half a day;
- Regularly moisten the soil in containers
- perform top dressing;
- harden off seedlings.
The first feeding is carried out when the seedlings have two leaves. The solution is made at the rate of 2.5 ml of potassium humate and half a teaspoon of urea. A tablespoon of the mixture is poured under each root.
The second top dressing is carried out in another two weeks, the last - before planting. By this time, the plants have already formed 6-8 leaves and the beginnings of buds. Nitroammophoska and other preparations with a high content of potassium are used. It is very important to follow the dosage indicated on the package.
Before top dressing, you need to moisten the soil. Fertilizing dry soil is dangerous for fragile roots. Containers with plants should not stand near heaters, as the soil mixture will dry out, and excessive watering can damage delicate roots.
A couple of weeks before transplanting peppers into open ground, hardening is carried out. In the first days, it is enough to open the window in the room, in the next days - to take it outside for 2-3 hours, gradually increasing the interval of stay in the fresh air.
Video: 5 Pepper Seedlings Mistakes You Don't Want To Make - Pepper Geek
Landing in open ground
Replant vegetables in the garden should be when the threat of night frost has passed. In regions with a temperate climate, landing is carried out in mid-late May.
Dive is carried out only with densely planted seedlings. The sprouts are separated, trying not to damage the central root. If the seedlings were grown in separate cassettes, it is not worth diving the culture so as not to expose it to undue stress. The grown seedlings are removed from the container along with the ground and placed in prepared holes.
Large-fruited varieties are planted according to the scheme 50 by 60 cm, immersed in the ground to the level of the root neck.