- Video: How to make a seamless dog sweater: A step-by-step knitting tutorial
- When should a dog wear clothes?
- Video: how to: knit your dog a sweater w/ PATTERN for beginner knitters
- Types of clothes for four-legged animals
- Video: How to knit a dog sweater | FREE Debbie Bliss pattern
- Features and benefits of knitted clothes for dogs
- Video: Sweater for small dogs A simple knitting tutorial
- Taking measurements and choosing yarn
- Learning to knit a sweater for a pet
- Video: Crochet tank top for pet, beginner-friendly dog clothes
- Rate the author (1)
- Comments (6)
Dogs love walks, their desire to go outside does not depend on the season. With the onset of cold weather, people take out outerwear. Do pets need insulation? Undoubtedly. Hypothermia creates discomfort, can lead to a cold. Manufacturers offer a special wardrobe for dogs.
Some owners order tailoring, others prefer knitted items. It doesn't matter what breed the pet is, German Pinscher or a poodle, you need to learn how to insulate your dog in a relevant way. The outfit also has an aesthetic value. Small dogs look especially cute in clothes. How to choose the right clothes for dogs?
So, what clothes do dogs need - further in our article.
Video: How to make a seamless dog sweater: A step-by-step knitting tutorial
When should a dog wear clothes?
The animal cannot tell about its feelings, but there are a number of signs by which you can determine that it is cold:
- tucked tail;
- hunched posture;
- attempts to curl up into a ball;
- slow motion.
A frozen dog asks to be held, whines, and shows concern. All this signals that it is time to go home.
Do I need to dress my dog in the rain? In rainy weather, it is better not to take the ward outside, and if this cannot be avoided, dress the dog in clothes that protect against rain and wind.
Sensitivity to cold depends on the breed, thickness and texture of the coat, and the age of the dog. Older pets, Bolognese dogs and other representatives of small, short-legged, hairless breeds freeze faster than others.
Video: how to: knit your dog a sweater w/ PATTERN for beginner knitters
Types of clothes for four-legged animals
Types of clothing depend on the density of wool, climatic conditions. Sometimes a knitted sweater is enough for effective warming. In severe frosts, a winter jacket is required. Other types of autumn-winter equipment:
It is worth choosing models strictly according to the season and size. Dog handlers note the high effectiveness of knitted clothing to prevent hypothermia.
Video: How to knit a dog sweater | FREE Debbie Bliss pattern
Features and benefits of knitted clothes for dogs
Knitwear is in demand for a number of reasons:
- things do not interfere with air circulation;
- clothing is soft, tightly fits the body, but does not hinder movement;
- products do not accumulate static electricity;
- most models are knitted seamless, so there is no risk of chafing, tangling.
Knitted sweaters, overalls for dogs look very stylish, which is pleasant for the owner and others. It is very important to take measurements and choose the right yarn.
Video: Sweater for small dogs A simple knitting tutorial
Taking measurements and choosing yarn
Experienced needlewomen recommend taking measurements correctly and creating a base pattern. On it you can knit a sweater, and a vest, and a jumpsuit, and a poncho, making some adjustments, depending on the model.
How to measure the size of clothes for a dog?
Measurements are taken with the collar removed. To take the measurements of the dog, you need to “persuade” stand still for a few minutes. We measure:
- back length from withers to tail;
- bust. The measuring tape runs at its widest point, behind the front paws. Two centimeters are added to the measurement for a loose fit;
- waist circumference, a centimeter runs along the narrowest part of the torso;
- neck circumference, measured at the widest part of the neck.
The algorithm for constructing a base pattern can be studied on specialized Internet resources.
You can crochet and knit things for dogs. What yarn to choose for a dog sweater? Good options are cashmere, wool/acrylic blends, pure wool. The natural composition avoids allergies, irritation.
Learning to knit a sweater for a pet
Beautiful outfits for a pet can be knitted with your own hands. It is worth spending time on needlework, because the thing will be unique, made exactly to size. And novice needlewomen will cope with knitting a sweater for a dog.
Let's consider the features of the execution of the thing:
- the distance between the front paws of the dog is less than the half-girth of the back from above, so the back should be wider than the front;
- in addition to the measurements listed above, the width between the front paws is measured through the back of the animal;
- the distance between the front and hind legs is determined. The centimeter is located on the side;
- another additional measurement is the length and girth of the front paws.
Next, loops are calculated according to the obtained measurements. If there are several patterns, the knitting density is determined for each. The control sample is knitted. The number of loops is divided by the distance between the hem in cm. Thus, the density of knitting is determined. To find out the number of loops for a set, multiply the density by the length in cm according to the pattern.
The classic sweater consists of three parts: the main element for the torso, holes for the front legs and sleeves. The most practical pattern for the main fabric is 1 * 1 or 2 * 2 elastic. You can start and finish the main element with an elastic band, and make a Norwegian pattern or front surface inside.
- on a circular knitting needle, cast on the estimated number of loops, multiplying the waist circumference by the density;
- knit in the round, adding evenly the number of loops that corresponds to the width of the back;
- when reaching the level of the front paws, knit “circles”
- continue knitting in the round to the required length and cast off;
- extract loops from “circles” and knit the sleeves. The cuff is ribbed.
The finished model should be soaked in warm water and dried in a straightened form.
If the sweater is designed for a dog with a large muzzle, it will be difficult to put it on over the head. In this case, the sweater is knitted not in a circle, but in a flat fabric (except for the sleeves). A zipper is sewn along the middle line of the back.
Knitted and other clothes for dogs are not an excess, but a necessity. In addition to warming, the outfit protects from dirt, because four-legged animals love to run through puddles. It is much easier to wash clothes than to bathe a pet. Teaching a dog to wear equipment should be from an early age, showing maximum patience.